Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Marriott Mag Mile vs Residence Inn & other Trip questions

I%26#39;m going to bring my mother in law and two daughters for a 3 night girls trip next week. Our ages go from 70 to the girls at 15 and 8 so trying to please all ages. Travel Zoo has had some good $99 deals and two that I grabbed are the Marriott Mag Mile and the Residence Inn Mag Mile at Walton Place. I%26#39;m leaning towards the Residence Inn as it has the breakfast each morning and a bit more room. We usually stay more in River North area but when we do that it is to be near shopping. Any comments on these choices ? I also saw a new Travel Zoo deal for $99 at the Hyatt on Wacker.



On this trip we would like to hit Field Science Muesum, Natural History Museum, Adler Planetarium. I also promised a stop (short) at American Girl store for the 8 yr old. Not sure about Navy Pier as it has never done much for me. Thinking maybe going to top of Hancock as well.



For dinners thinking Ed Debevic and either Lou Malnati%26#39;s or Gino%26#39;s for pizza one night. Any places within walking distance of the Residence Inn.



Oldest daughter really wanted to go see Mary Poppins as well but trying to go budget. Might still consider.



Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas that they may like or what I should plan each day. None of them have been to Chicago before so want to make it enjoyable for them. It%26#39;s my 7th or 8th trip there but haven%26#39;t done any museums there myself except the art museum so am looking forward to it myself.



Thanks!!!



Marriott Mag Mile vs Residence Inn %26amp; other Trip questions


Oops- reread my note and I meant Field Museum and the Science Museum.



Marriott Mag Mile vs Residence Inn %26amp; other Trip questions


Residence Inn on Walton is the better choice for your group. It%26#39;s a nice property, on a nice block very close to the lakefront. Plus, you can%26#39;t beat a free breakfast. I think Marriott Mag Mile is very busy and harder to keep track of everyone. Just to clear things up, it%26#39;s the Museum of Science of Industry and the Natural History Museum is the Field Museum. And while you are at the Field and Planetarium, the Acquarium is right there too and it really is quite nice--the have a lovely auditorium that has the fish show (like a dolphin show but more educational) and they have feedings in their giant tank that you can watch.




Keep in mind that you%26#39;ll need at least a 1/2 day for the Museum of Science and Industry. Also, it%26#39;s 7 miles south of downtown. Its%26#39; accessible from downtown via CTA bus.




The TravelZoo deal for the Hyatt on Wacker, although it includes breakfast for 2, it is nonrefundable (in the fine print).




THe Hyatt on Wacker is too business oriented and not the best choice over all




I cancelled the Marriott Mag Mile option. Still sniffing around to make sure there isn%26#39;t any better option. There is Courtyard on Hubbard for $79. I stayed there but it was 10 years or so ago so really can%26#39;t remember how close it was to Michigan and other attractions. While it%26#39;s cheaper still leaning to keep the Res Inn with the extra space it offers.



Would anyone choose this Courtyard over Res Inn ?






Courtyard is close to Michigan Ave. $79 is a great deal.




Dave, What do you think about the Blackstone at $99 ? Would that put us in walking distance of the museums ? The Courtyard deal at $79 is good but imagine we would still need to cab or bus to museums?



I%26#39;m torn because the Blackstone looks great but Res Inn like the extra space for winding down in the evenings. Courtyard I remember from my stay had very small rooms and can%26#39;t remember what it was close to.



We only need one swoop on Michigan to hit shopping area and that brief American Girl stop. Otherwise the only shopping I wanted was to hit Macys and Nordstrom Rack on State.




For $20 more, I%26#39;d pop for the Blackstone. You%26#39;re closer to museums. Easy access up north to AGP and shopping on State.




Great ! Now I just need to remember which website I saw the $99 Blackstone deal on last night and hope it%26#39;s still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment