Saturday, April 21, 2012

International House at the University of Chicago

Hi,



I can%26#39;t seem to find much information about this accomodation. Has anyone ever stayed at the International House of Chicago University?



If so, is it a safe neighbourhood? Is it relatively safe to get to downtown Chicago from here? And is the travel expensive making it more worthwhile to pay the extra and stay downtown?



Thanks for the help.



International House at the University of Chicago


Hyde Park (the neighborhood) is hit and miss. The immediate area around the U of C is fine. IMO, you%26#39;re better off staying downtown and taking public transit down to the U 0f C.





You can get there via bus or train. 鈥chicago.edu/directions/masstransit.shtml



International House at the University of Chicago


I agree with the above and would recommend staying in Downtown. I used to live in thet International house as a student and the rooms are VERY small. Even for Europe standards. Bathrooms are shared.





There is a metro station nearby and you can get to the city with a 20 minute ride but the station is risky at night. I would not be there alone (as a woman even during the daylight hours) since there is known muggings and crime.





Hyde park area of the university is decent but the fringe areas (which is where I-house is located) is shady. Once I couldnt even get into my room b/c the police were having a gun stand-off with some guy.





Also no restaurants in the area b/c it is located that the perimeter of hyde park. Maybe some fastfood 20 minute walking distance.





I like Hyde park and UofC but dont stay in the area.




BTW, I lived there in 2003. Not too long ago, but the town may have gentrified abit and may be more safe now.



But even so, I woulndt stay there.

No comments:

Post a Comment