Friday, April 13, 2012

Is Union Station Open All Night?

I%26#39;ve got a couple of days to kill, but not a huge budget. The original plan I posted about isn%26#39;t going to work out, so I%26#39;m thinking of just grabbing Amtrak from Portland, OR to Chicago...then turning right around and heading back to Portland. At this time, I can%26#39;t afford the downtown Chicago hotels, and since I have never been to Chicago, I don%26#39;t know if this is reasonable, but here%26#39;s my question.





The train gets in to Chicago late afternoon Tuesday, and leaves mid day Wednesday. Is it possible to stash my bag and laptop in a locker at Union Station, roam around downtown a little, maybe even go catch a White Sox game, then return to Union Station and crash the rest of the night on a bench, before catching my train out the next day?





I%26#39;m curious as to whether Union Station is open all night, if they would boot me out (I%26#39;m mid-40%26#39;s and clean cut, so I don%26#39;t think I would be mistaken for a vagrant), and if it would be safe.





I know this wouldn%26#39;t appeal to many folks, and I%26#39;m questioning my sanity a little as it is, but is this even possible? Thanks!



Is Union Station Open All Night?


It closes at midnight. I don%26#39;t believe there are lockers there anymore.





www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…





If you want to stash your luggage downtown - http://www.chicagobikestation.com/



has lockers.



Is Union Station Open All Night?


An inexpensive place to stay overnight - www.hichicago.org




Thanks Dave! That hostel was full, but they referred me to Arlington House, which has openings. What a great option...I didn%26#39;t even think about hostels. Much better than a night on a bench. Really appreciate it!




You%26#39;re welcome.




Sorry Dave, but there are lockers at Union. Look at the pictures in the link below.





http://www.trainweb.org/usarail/chicago.htm




This is from a year ago. How did it get revived? Now you%26#39;ve made me want to know how the trip worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment